Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Baby Mullet Comes to Fruition

 Allow me to introduce to you the newest resident of Cabbage Ranch:  Beep's ponytail.


Yes, indeed.  After more than two years of a bald or fuzzy-headed baby...


...we are finally reaching the stage of actual, real, measurable hair growth.  At least in the back of the mullet.


I am not a fan of the bow-taped-to-head thing (no offense to those who like that look), so since her birth we more often gravitated toward caps and bonnets, which have done a dandy job of "labelling" her as a girl, and more importantly protecting her poor little naked scalp from the sun. 

The hats have been really fun, and since she's been wearing them since birth she doesn't mind them at all.  The poor kid doesn't know any better.






So Beep's baldness hasn't really bothered me.  On the contrary, it's been a source of amusement as people sometimes offer their condolences and unsolicited reassurances for her baldness... "oooooh, don't worry, she'll grow hair eventually."  (She has a good brain, all her major systems work, and she'll grow hair eventually.  I couldn't care less. But thanks.)

Still, it really is fun to enter this previously unexplored girlie territory with her.  She likes it, too, and will occasionally request "a pony." 

That's about the time I sprint for the hair elastics quicklybeforeshechangeshermind.  Then I scrape together a few longer hairs (don't worry about the thin spots), wrestle them into a band (never mind if it pulls at her scalp), and ignore the front of her baby mullet. 

This is a thick and lustrous ponytail.


Don't burst my bubble.  

7 comments:

  1. Made me laugh:) (You didn't mention how truly sweet she is! So I will. she is a genuinely 'nice' little girl. OK. I'm Grammy, but who's going to argue with me?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody's going to argue with you, whether they know her personally or not!

      Delete
  2. I applaud you for not taping bows and ribbions to her, I'm not big fan either. You have done an awesome job of keeping her pretty little head shielded from the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was bald until I was 2. My mom dressed me in pink everything, and was constantly asked, "What's his name?" My daughter was also bald until 2-ish, and I got the same comments. Her hair grew in like a bald guy with a shaggy fringe; it was a hoot! Enjoy her! When mine got old enough to have enough hair to play with, she wouldn't let me... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love the shaggy fringe image. I hope Beep keeps letting me play with her hair... So far, so good!

      Delete
  4. Just filled with envy that she leaves the hair tie in! Jo and Rie had hair, Sarah was my baldie, and Eva's hair is ridiculous. With Sarah though, I loved that peach fuzz. It seemed to keep that sweet shampoo smell longer (perhaps because it was so sparse?). The other girls hair always just sort of wound up smelling like dirty kid :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, it's pretty hit or miss! Sometimes she'll ask for a pony, then rip it right out. Other times she'll leave them in (hooray!). And I agree about the shampoo smell, it's so sweet! Plus it's easier to wipe baby food off a bald baby's head.

      Delete

I love reading your comments and hearing what you think, so please chime in. Keep it civil. It's how we roll here at Cabbage Ranch.